Field Application Engineer (PMC)
Love vehicle electronics, but have had your fill of product launches? Want to see more of the industry? Looking for an opportunity to start and juggle multiple projects? Are the tools you work with just as interesting as the vehicle electronics you work on? Want to get involved in the latest ADAS technologies? If you are answering yes to these questions then Vector might be the place for you.
Vector is a global, continuously growing engineering company. For over a quarter of a century, we have been at the forefront of electronic innovations within the automotive industry and related sectors. Vector has over 2,000 employees at 24 locations worldwide, supporting manufacturers and suppliers with a professional platform of software and hardware tools, embedded software components, and services for developing embedded systems. Driven by our passion for technology, we develop solutions which relieve engineers of their demanding tasks. Our employees work on tomorrow’s electronic technologies every single day.
We are seeking a Field Application Engineer experienced with embedded software applications and working with PC tools used for the development and testing of electronic control systems. This is an opportunity to make an impact in the exciting, rapidly growing automotive electronics field by working with customers using our CANape and VX1000 products. For info on CANape and VX1000, see our website at –
- Work closely with many different customers to gather and verify requirements, match needs to Vector products, create and prove out new solutions based on Vector products.
- Drive customer support activities from start to finish to ensure customer satisfaction; including troubleshooting, communicating information to all stakeholders, advocating and implementing solutions.
- Create simple demos to illustrate concepts.
- Educate customers to show how our products can help them.
- Travel to customer locations across North America to drive progress on technical projects, and to develop positive, long-term, customer relationships.
- Stay current on the latest trends in vehicle electronics, company products, and customer applications.
- Hands-on experience in the development or test of electronic controls, microcontrollers, and embedded software applications.
- Ability to travel and work in the field at customer facilities such as laboratories, garages, dynamometers, test tracks, and in vehicles.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP and automotive communication protocols, such as CAN, XCP, UDS. Experience with microcontroller debug interfaces such as JTAG, DAP, Nexus, and Aurora is a plus
- Skilled at writing and debugging software in C-like languages.
- Skilled at working with PC tools used in the development and test of electronic control systems.
- Experience with tools like CANape, INCA, Vision, Lauterbach, CANalyzer, CANoe, Control Desk, Vehicle Spy, iSystems/WinIDEA, and MATLAB/Simulink is preferred.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues to resolution. Strong problem-solving skills including data and source code analysis skills. Comfortable pulling in expert help when needed.
- Willingness to pick up the phone and talk to someone you don’t know so that you may assist them.
- Ability to look at the big picture and listen to the customer.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including presenting and facilitating skills.
- Strong multi-tasking, self-management and organizational skills.
- Skilled at remote interactions via WebEx or Skype
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
- BS EE/CE/CS or equivalent combination of education/experience required.
- A core business in growing, exciting technologies.
- The atmosphere of a small company with the resources of a global organization with offices in Europe, the Americas, and Asia.
- A privately held enterprise: Our products and strategic direction are based on our customer's needs, not outside investment interests.
- An engineering company run by engineers. If you’re an engineer, we speak your language.
- An "open-door" environment: Communication with management is simple and direct, no rigid protocol to follow
- The work-life balance of our employees underlies everything we do at Vector: For instance, we request input on decisions that directly affect our employees, or promote social events open to all employees.
- Company paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance benefits among others.
What We Can Offer:
Your work is our source code. Your passion and creativity is our success. You generate ideas and product innovations, and in return, we provide an attractive, high-tech working environment with a generous Total Rewards Program. For example, our employee benefit package and flextime environment have consistently ranked in one of the top 3 categories of our annual employee survey.
We are an EEO employer.